Eco-cultural Health and Traditional Ecological Knowledge Programs
Our Youth Rising programs provide an immersive indigenous-based educational experience designed to explore personal and collective identities in an urban context, and facilitate cultural, spiritual, and emotional healing through the revitalization of personal and inter-personal relationships to native lifeways, arts and traditions. Through our programs, native youth reclaim indigenous lifeways, arts, health and media as tools for healing and transformation.
Through group dialogue, interactive presentations with native artists & knowledge holders, embodied learning through traditional and new arts, participants explore:
- native and intercultural identity
- water consciousness and indigenous watercraft traditions
- native foodways: farming, cooking, and other cultural practices surrounding food
- ecoliteracy and connection to ancestral landscapes
- connection between cultural healing and ecological health
- creative modalities of self-expression
In collaboration with other youth, as well as with native artists and cultural practitioners, participants share their voice using traditional arts and new media.
Photo credits: Melissa K. Nelson, Nícola Wagenberg